Crossing the Canada-United States border in both directions on the Alaska Highway (at Beaver Creek, Yukon, operated by the Canada Border Services Agency and at the Alcan crossing, as it’s officially known, operated by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection or Border Patrol, a division of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security) is typically a non-event for most Alaska Highway road-trippers.

Having said that, it’s a good idea to visit the websites of the respective border agencies and, especially, to familiarize yourself with what you can and cannot bring with you as you cross from one country to the other (and are asked to make legally-binding declarations).


The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is committed to providing the best possible service to all of our clients including Canadian citizens, permanent residents, new immigrants, visitors to Canada and the trade community, while protecting the safety and security of Canada.

Our commitment to you is to provide quality service that is fair, accurate, accessible, efficient and timely… Our service is based on:

Respect and courtesy
Fair application of the law
Privacy and confidentiality
Bilingual service
Accurate information
Review of our actions and decisions

The Canadian border crossing from Yukon to Alaska (on the Alaska Highway) is at Beaver Creek, Yukon, the westernmost point in Canada. It is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“Restricted and prohibited goods”

Canada’s firearms laws help make Canada safer for residents and visitors. When you enter Canada, you must declare all firearms and weapons to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). If you do not, they may be seized and you could face criminal charges. You need documents to prove that you are entitled to possess a firearm in Canada, and you must transport it safely.

For more information about Canada’s firearms laws, a specific firearm, weapon, device and/or applicable fees, contact the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000.

You may also want to speak to the Chief Firearms Officer of the province you are planning to visit. For general assistance, please contact the Border Information Service (BIS).

Food, plants, animals and related products: All food, plants, animals, and related products must be declared. Food can carry disease, such as E. coli. Plants and plant products can carry invasive alien species, such as the Asian Long-Horned Beetle. Animals and animal products can carry diseases, such as avian influenza and foot-and-mouth disease.  The Food, Plant and Animal Inspections section of our Website provides more information on importation requirements.

Explosives, fireworks and ammunition: You must have written authorization and import permits to bring explosives, fireworks and certain types of ammunition into Canada. For more information, refer to Memorandum D19-6-1 – Administration of the Explosives Act or contact Natural Resources Canada.

(Source: CBSA website)

Photo Credit:
Chris Gale – Wild North Photos